NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Soil and Plant Growth
Name: Jen
Grade: K-3
Location: MI

Question:
I am doing an experiment with brassica rappa plants and I was wondering what the difference is between soil and sand. The plants that were growing in the sand are smaller than those growing in soil and I was wondering if the compostition was to blame. I have tried to find some reserach but nothing is accurate or just about beach sand.

Sand doesn't have as many nutrients as regular soil and also doesn't hold water as well as soil does.

Van Hoeck