NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Watering Times
Name: Brittany
Grade: N/A

Question:
I am doing a science project on the best time to feed plants. I have found that I had the best results with the plants that i watered in the evening (one other plant was watered in the morning, and one other in early afternoon). Why is this? Why is the plant I watered at night bigger and nicer than those that i watered at the other times?

The following presents another side of the picture since caution needs to be observed when watering in the evening to avoid fungal problems with plants:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_lawns_maintenance/article/0,1785,HGTV_3600_1388943,00.html

Except for the variable of time of day/evening, the other variables would need to be constant for an accurate comparison (i.e., amount of water, species (type) of plant, type of soil, temperature, humidity, etc.)

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.