NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rose Color Change
Name: Debbie
Grade: N/A

Question:
Why did my rose bush of three years change from a yellow rose to a red rose? It is a Jackson & Perkins bush.

This also happened to one of my roses, and here's my guess - but this is only a guess! Maybe some roses are grafts, with blooming stems grafted on to root stock of another type. If the top dies back but the root stock sprouts new stems they be of a different stock than the original blooming stems. I actually thought my rose bush was dead and was surprised to see it resprout and then bloom red instead of yellow. I welcome other input into this question.