NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne English Walnut
Name: Stan
Grade: N/A

Question:
I have an English Walnut tree. The nuts develop a black spots in July which go clear into the middle of the nuts while the outer shell is still green and on the tree. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? This happens ever year. The tree is large and looks healthy. I have never gotten a crop off of the tree.

For walnut anthracnose, the following suggests raking the leaves, fertilizing, and fungicidal control:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/walnut_anthr/wal_anthr.htm

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach