NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Poinsettia Blooms
Name: Vanessa
Grade: N/A

Question:
I have a Poinsettia that I have kept through last year. It is looking great and healthy . I need to know what do I need to do to get it to turn red again.

Poinsettias are beautiful, but re-blooming can be difficult without a rigorous control of light in the autumn months. That is why, in all but the most southern states of the U.S. they end up in the trash after Christmas. There are a wealth of websites on the care of poinsettias if you search the term: "Poinsettia blooming techniques". The "secret" seems to be to keep the plant in TOTAL DARKNESS for the fall months prior to December. It would appear that now is the time to act!!

This site should be helpful:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinsettia/

Anthony Brach Ph.D.