NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Apple Tree Seedlings
Name: Bowie
Grade: N/A

Question:
I planted an apple seed into a 1/2 liter water bottle over two months ago. My plant is now about five inches in height and I can see the root system collecting at the bottom of the bottle. I work in a well lit office and plan on keeping it inside. I think it is ready to be transpanted into a larger pot. My questions is, is there a proper way inwhich I should go about planting it without harming the plant? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here you go:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/planters.html

Anthony Brach Ph.D.

Bowie,

The best approach would probably be to visit a local garden center in your area; they can advise you on a suitable soil mixture and a proper size container.

I have 4 apple tree varieties growing in my yard in eastern Pennsylvania. It took about 5 years before each tree produced flowers and the resulting fruit. It is my understanding that an apple tree, when old enough to flower, will only produce fruit after a sufficiently long period of cold. You can check which states are known for the production/shipment of apples, and you will find that the frost-free areas would not be good choices in placement of apple orchards.

One other good source of information would be your county extension agent, located at the county office building in your area in the city which is your county seat. Apart from that, if you contact a local college/university and speak to someone in their biology/botany department, they should be able to give you (free) advice on how to care for your tree.

On occasion, the genetics of the tree resulting from seed will not bear the same desired characteristics as the parent from which it was produced, because a good deal of fruit trees are the result of grafting and/or hybridization. Do not take this as a discouragement; your tree could conceivably end up being a new, cool variety not yet seen.

Good luck, and thanks for using NEWTON!

Ric Rupnik