NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Corn in Arizona
Name: Beverley
Grade: N/A

Question:
I am growing corn on the cob in a small area in my back yard. So far I have been very pleased with the result, however I see that the silk has turned brown and dry. I also found some ants wanting to have a corn party. Would the dry brown silk be a cause of hot weather. I have put so much time and effort into this and would be very disapointed to see it die. Thank you. Bev. Daly PS I am in Phoenix AZ

Possibly helpful although for primarily for Georgia:

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1221.htm

I would guess that hot weather can be another problem.

Anthony Brach Ph.D.