NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tree Rain
Name: LINDA
Grade: N/A

Question:
Tree Rain following up on the question by Jay- I observed in my yard last night a tree that appeared to be raining - catalpa tree. This was at the end of the day and I watched for over 30 minutes as the sun was shinning behind the tree and it looked like a light rain or someone had turned the sprinlker on. this continued until the sun went down and I could no longer see the rain - so I went and stood under the tree and could still feel it - but it was not sticky as sap or as honeydew , it was like water. This tree had just been deleafed by the catalpa worms. My husband thought I was crazy until he came and saw it too.

It does sound like herbivory damage resulting in sap raining down from the injuries.

Anthony R. Brach, PhD
Missouri Botanical Garden
c/o Harvard Univ. Herbaria