NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Light vs Oxygen Production

Name: Vincent

Question:
Will the amount of light that a plant receive determine the amount of oxygen it will produce?

Yes, it does untill the Light is no more a limiting factor.

Waseem

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the question. Yes, the amount of light a plant receives is one factor that determines how much oxygen is produced. Other factors include how much nutrients are in the soil and how much carbon dioxide is in the air.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff

Yes, it will, because the amount of light will determine it's rate of photosynthesis. However, since this is an enzymatically driven process, the rate will increase until it reaches a maximum rate, and then it will level off. This is because enzymes can usually only hold one substrate in the active site and they can only "work" so fast.