NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Delicate Root Hairs

Name: Mona
Status: 

Question:
Why are root hair of plants removed when they are transplanted? My book says 'During transplantation the root hair are removed,that is why, the plant remains wilted in the new habitat.'

The plant's root hairs are very delicate, so they can be lost (fall off) during transplanting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_hair

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/text/planting.html

So careful removal of the surrounding soil is recommended to avoid disturbing the root hairs as much as possible.

Sincerely, Anthony R. Brach, PhD Harvard University Herbaria

Root hairs are primarily involved in the active uptake of water and nutrients. They are sticky and tend to bind to soil particles. When plants are "pulled" from their original medium, the delicate, fibrous root hairs are inadvertently stripped off in the process. The resulting plant then has little to no capacity for water and nutrient uptake after transplantation. This leads to symptoms reminiscent of water stress (wilting), even if the water status of the soil is optimal.

My family frequently uses transplants on our farm. To avoid transplant injury as much as possible, we use a pitchfork with short, thick prongs to loosen the soil. Basically we stab the soil straight down on both sides of the plants and then dig up underneath the root system. This loosens the soil so we can then pull plants "bare root", leaving the roots intact.

Dr. Tim Durham Office of Undergraduate Studies University Colloquium Department of Biological Sciences College of Arts and Sciences Florida Gulf Coast University

Hi Madhu,

Thanks for the question. I am not sure why the root hairs are removed during transplantation of plants. Based on my personal experience, I would think that the transplantation process may cause the root hairs to be removed. It may take some time for the root hairs to regrow and the plant to thrive.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff

Root hair is an extended single celled structure that is almost invisible to the naked eye. It is very strongly attached with the soil particles and responsible for water absorption. When plant is removed it is broken and new root hair develop at the new site.

Waseem