NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plant Roots and Oxygen Concentration

Name: Cameron
Location: WA

Question:
Plants are able to use more co2 than is readily available in the air, hence using co2 in a greenhouse. Does the same go for plant roots breathing oxygen in an aeroponic growing method. the air is roughly made of 20% oxygen. if the root zone was supplemented to say 30% oxygen would plant roots be able to use the extra oxygen in the roots?

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the question. I am not a botanist, but I would suspect that the roots would be able to use the extra oxygen and the metabolic rate would increase. However, there is a concern about over-oxygenation. If too much oxygen is present, the organism may suffer damage such as oxidized lipids (like what smog does to your lungs) and apoptosis (cell death).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff

Hi Cameron,

Plant roots benefit from oxygen in the hydroponic (water) system. The optimal oxygen concentrations may differ with the plant species.

The following should be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg09162716674.html

Sincerely, Anthony Brach, PhD Harvard University Herbaria