NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Olive Tree Fruit and Temperature

Name :Kier
Grade: 12+
Country: Mexico

Question:
What would be considerd proper winter chill for fruit set of olive trees in mexico where we live it never gets below 45-50 degrees f. at the coldest part of the year is this ok for fruit set or not?

Hi Kier,

Thanks for the question. I am not a botanist or crop scientist. However, olives are native to the Mediterranean region which is a similar climate to what you describe in Mexico. However, other factors such as soil nutrients and amount of sunlight should also be considered. Ultimately, you will probably need to do some testing/experimentation to determine the feasibility of growing olives in your climate.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff

According to this guide, the temperature minimum that you indicated seems to be okay:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2010/10/olives.pdf

However, you should check the other factors in this guide for more information.

Sincerely, Anthony R. Brach, PhD Harvard University Herbaria