NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Diffusion and Absorption

Name: Nathan Status: student Grade: K-3 Country: USA Date: Winter 2011-2012

Question:
I am doing a science project on mummification. I am using baking soda to mummify a hot dog. I know the baking soda is absorbing the moisture in the hot dog. My question is how or why does the baking soda absorb the moisture?

Hi Nathan,

Baking soda, at the microscopic level, is very porous, has a lot of holes. Also, the surface of the powder is very rough. It is very easy for moisture to find its way into the holes and get physically trapped in the holes. It is also very easy for water molecules to adhere to the surface of the very rough powder so that it is physically held in place.

Greg (Roberto Gregorius) Canisius College