NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Recipricol of infinity
Name: vernon k gambleton

Question:
Isn't the reciprocal of infinity equal to zero? ....1/(1/2)=2,1/((1/8)=8, so as the denominator gets close to zero the number gets bigger.

Yes, but mathemeticians like to confuse people, so they pretend that they don't know what you mean by "infinity". Most physicists will agree with me.

jlu

I guess that puts me in a quandary since I majored in Mathematical Physics! Just one more thought that I hope won't further obfuscate this issue: infinity as a number is not a member of the set of integers, rationals, or Reals. If you want to get further into this, look up "cardinality" and "denumerable" and "non-denumerable" sets. Have fun! ;-)

hawley

The important thing is not to let the language obscure the concept. The question actually is:

What is the limit of 1/x as x grows monotonically without bound? and it is probably asked by someone who is just beginning to learn algebra. We can reformulate the question and answer in the language of set theory and mappings, I suppose, but who is helped by that? The simple answer, "zero", would seem to suffice.

I quote Steve Weinberg, "Gravitation and Comology", p. 114: "...mathematicians have developed a general formalism, known as the . Unfortunately, the rather abstract and compact notation associated with this formalism has in recent years seriously impeded communication between mathematicians and physicists."

The essence of physics has always been communication, rather than mathematical rigour. The test I use for myself is that if I can't explain a concept in language that a 4th grader can understand, then I probably don't understand the concept very well myself.

Oh, yes, I have been publishing papers in mathematical physics for almost 40 years.

jlu