NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Short Cut Math
Name: Loretta S

Question:
For compound interest that equation is T=P(1+r)to the n power my question is...What is a short cut to find the answer for n besides guess and check?

ln(x^n) = n ln(x)

Dear Loretta,

Algebra and logs are the keys to solving for n.

Given: T = P(1+r)^n

Solve for n

1.Divide both sides by P
T/P = (1+r)^n

2.Take the log of both sides (any log will do,
I like the natural log) ln (T/P) = ln [(1+r)^n]

3.When you take a log, one property is that any exponents of inside the log become coefficients of the log itself. ln (T/P) = n [ln (1+r)]

4.Divide both sides by [ln (1+r)]. [ln(T/P)]/[ln (1+r)] = n

This will give you a definitive answer for n, without guessing and checking.