NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Number Nomenclature
Name: Teri S

Question:
How do you say/read the number 602,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, that is, the value for 6.02 times 10 raised to the 23rd power? Our students do not have email accounts and I am helping one of our juniors.

Well, generally I just call it "Avogadro's number" and let it go at that. Otherwise I call it "6.02 times 10 to the 23rd." If you want to use the actual English name for it, it would be "six hundred two sextillion." But the other names convey the information much more clearly.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.
Chemical Separations Group

We would write 6.02 x 10^23 and read this as "six point O two times 10 to the power 23." The number 23 is written above but to the right of 10; it is a superscript for 10. AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary