NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cylinder and Gravity
Name: Jeff

Question:
First, suppose you have a cylinder with a specified length and weight. Also, suppose it is supported at each end with rigid supports that can support the weight of the cylinder. I need to know how to calculate the force pressing down (due to gravity) on the center of the cylinder. I appreciate any help you can give me.

The gravitational force on the cylinder is independent of the manner in which the cylinder is supported.