NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Zero
Name: Chris

Question:
My son's teacher has told him that the number zero(0) is an even number. I disagree and say that it is in a class all its own, neither even or odd. Could someone tell us whether zero(0) is even, odd or neither?

The correct definition of an even number is any number that can be expressed as two multiplied by any integer. An odd number cannot be expressed this way. Zero is an integer. Two times zero is zero. Since we can express zero as two times an integer, zero is an even number. ----- Zero is in a class by itself when you talk about signs. There are positive numbers: numbers greater than zero. In accounting, these represent profits and gains. There are negative numbers: numbers less than zero. In accounting, these represent debts and losses. Then there is zero. In accounting, zero is neither a gain nor a loss.-----

Mellendorf