NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Egg Formula
Name: Martin B.

Question:
Hi! Does anyone know how the get the mathematic description to the curve of an egg? I presume that the lower half of the egg is a half of a perfect circle, but what about the rest?

Much to my surprise, the Handbook of Curves and Surfaces, published by Chemical Rubber Co., did not have a mathematical equation describing an egg -- the surface of rotation of the two dimensional figure called an "oval". In addition, the comprehensive "Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics" edited by Eric W. Weisstein states that does not have "a precise mathematical definition."

That came to me as quite a surprise.