NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Name This Function
Name: Brad H.

Question:
I have been asked to solve the following equation. Square root 6 + (Square root 6 + (Square root 6.....to infinity I was given the answer of 3 but need to find the answer. Is there a name for this function.

Expressions such as these are called "nested radicals". For this to equal an integer = x (in your case, 3) the following relation between 'x' and the number under the radical, call it 'n' must hold: n = x(x-1)

In your case this is: 6 = 3*(3-1) = 3*2 = 6.

You can find a starting point on studying these mathematical oddities in: "CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics" edited by Eric W. Weisstein.