NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cubic and Quartic Formulae
Name: Alex S.

Question:
I know the quadratic equation and have often heard about the cubic and quartic equations, can you please tell me what they are?

A cubic equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest power of the variable is raised to the third power. A quartic equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest power of the variable is the fourth power.