NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Skene's Number
Name: Matthew M.

Question:
Is there a number larger than a googolplex? Is it Skenes' number?

Matthew,

There are many numbers larger than a googleplex. Although a googleplex is more than anyone can think about clearly, it is not the biggest possible number. There is no biggest possible number. The only thing that truly limits the number size is how much paper you have to write on. In a computer, the limit is how much space is in the memory. You can add agoogleplex to a googleplex and get two times a googleplex. It is much bigger than just one googleplex. I think people like to use a googleplex for a huge number because it has a funny name.

I do not know what Skenes' number is, but it is not the biggest either. There is no biggest possible number.