NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fast Multiplication Algorithms
Name: Aditya P.

Question:
Earlier on, when I was in the 6th grade, my history teacher was amazed at how slow everyone in his class was at multiplication. He went up to the board and showed the class a method to multiply ANY two numbers in a fairly short time span (up to 6 digits by 6 digits in less than five seconds). We were all fairly amazed by his exhibition, which employed some rule not commonly taught in the classroom. None of us, however, completely got the hang of his trick, and those of us that did soon forgot it. Though I am a fairly strong math student, I have been unable to re-develop his trick through the use of any text-book math up to, and including, calculus. In addition, none of my recent math teachers know any such method, and searches on the Internet have all been fruitless. Is there any general algorithm/trick out there through which such rapid multiplication is possible? It does not have to be mental math: paper and pencil is fine, and mathematical complexity is fine (though I do not think the original trick employed much - we were only 6th graders). I am interested in hearing of any such algorithms, even those that might take some practice in order to do rapidly.

I am not sure about the algorithm you were shown, but I know of one that "works" that is based on solid mathematical principles. The "method" is best shown by an example: Suppose we want to multiply: 768 x 52 = (7x10^2 + 6x10^1 + 8x10^0) * (5x10^1 + 2x10^0). Look at the exponents of "10". They are (2,1,0) and (1,0) respectively. So the "answer" is going to have a maximum exponent of (2+1=3). Now write the multiplication in "vertical" format, lining up the various exponents of "10" in the same columns. So we have:
                                          Exponent of "10" ------>      4
3        2        1        0

7       6        8

5        2

______________________
Now we will multiply FROM LEFT TO RIGHT
placing the result in column that is the SUM of                3        5
the COLUMNS  of the two digits multiplied.                            3
0
For example, the first term is (7x5=35) which
4        0
will appear in column (2 + 1=3)
1         4

1        2

1        6

___________________________

3        9           9        3        6

If the product of the 2-digit multiplication is greater than 10 the lead digit "spills over" into the next higher column. For example: 7x5=35 appears in the (2+1=3) column so the "3" in the answer "35" spills over into column 4, i.e. 10^4.

Now why is this "left to right" multiplication easier? First: All multiplications are single digit multiplications, the highest possible one is 9x9 Second: There is no "carrying" to keep track of. Each multiplication step will only "spill over" to the column just to the left. If the addition of columns exceeds 10, then it is easy to add a "1" to the first column to the left. Third: The problem is laid out for easy reality checks. In this case (~800x50=40,000) so you know what the answer should be.

With a little practice, you can "un-learn" the traditional algorithm of multiplying from "right-to-left" and you will find hand calculations much faster, less chance of error, and based upon the meaning of decimal place holders.

By the way there is a similar algorithm for long division that eliminates the necessity of finding the greatest multiple in division. This one is even "cooler" than the multiplication algorithm.