NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sinusoidal Curves
Name: Tom

Question:
I am curious if the graph of, say, y=(sinx)^2 is considered a sinusoidal curve. That is, is a sinusoidal curve ONLY a sin or cos curve, or is it a more generic term?

It depends upon how precise you want to be, but I think most people would not be "offended" if you described a curve such as y = (sin x)^2 as "sinusoidal" meaning that it had a repeating period and amplitude. I do not think you would want to call it a "sine" curve, or "sin" curve. Those terms most people I think would assume the standard meaning.

Tom,

A sinusoidal curve is any curve that is shaped exactly like a sine or cosine curve. It just happens to be true that y=(sinx)^2 IS shaped exactly like a sine or cosine curve. The reason is based on a "double angle" formula: cos(2x)=1-2*(sinx)^2. y=(sinx)^2 is the same as y=(1/2)-(1/2)cos(2x). The curve has a different amplitude and length, but it is still shaped like a sine function. In fact, a sine or cosine function to any power happens to be sinusoidal. The math is more complex, but the principle is the same. Try graphing one to see what it actually looks like.

On further reflection it would be more precise to refer to functions such as: f(x) = (sin(x))^2 as "periodic functions" even though I think that in "math-speak" sinusoidal is used loosely. What makes me rethink this is that g(x) = tan (x) is periodic but not sinusoidal, having a periodic discontinuity at pi/2.