NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Apparent Size and Distance Formula
Name: Harry

Question:
In reading about why an object seems to get smaller with distance I think I read a formula or explanation that went something like this: The apparent size of an object decreases with the square of half the distance. I know this is not accurate. Could you give me the formula that I have mentioned?

I think you just said:

Sa=S/(0.5 D)^2

a little bit of rough sketching in front of me seems to indicate that Sa=S/D may be a bit more accurate.

Ryan Belscamper