NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Largest Named Number
Name: Alex

Question:
What is the largest named number?

There is no "biggest" number -- I recognize you understand that. The web site:

http://www.math.com/tables/general/numnotation.htm

gives the common names of very large and very small numbers. For reference: a "googol" is a "1" followed by 100 zeros, and a "googolplex" is "1" followed by a "googol" of zeros. That, according to the web site I found is the largest named number, but that is very artificial, because you can easily construct a larger number of a "1" followed by a "googolplex"of zeros, and you could name it a "googolgoogolplex" -- and you could repeat this procedure indefinitely.