NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Scaling Exercises
Name: Marla M.

Question:
I am trying to find a project for students of Geometry to draw a house plan by a scale. Do you have any information on this?

Ms. M,

I could find no specific geometry lesson plan along those lines, so I came up with one based on an Ezine article by Martin Smith

(http://ezinearticles.com/?Building-or-Decorating-Your-Home-Requires-House-Plans&id=5683)

In a nutshell, have the kids measure all the rooms, doors, and windows in their houses/apartments and use the scale 1/4 in = 1 foot to make a scale drawing. The 1/4 in = 1 foot scale allows you to use the ubiquitous 1/4 per square graph paper. The paragraphs come with the article.

To do them yourself you will need a pencil or pen, scissors, a measuring tape, and graph paper with 1/4-inch boxes.You will draw rooms to scale; one box per foot is good. Measure your rooms, doors, windows, heat and air cooling appliances. Draw the outlines of the rooms according to scale. Measure your furniture (you only need to worry about length and width here) next and take another piece of graph paper. Draw out lines of your furniture, label them and cut them out. Use these pieces to set up the rooms. When you find an arrangement you like, you can make a more permanent drawing. On another sheet of graph paper draw a box for each wall. Scale your windows, doors, built-ins and other features.

Take another piece of graph paper and draw the wall sections of each room noting the windows, doors, and any heating or cooling appliance might be situated.

Hope this helps! You of course can bring in as much as you want about what shapes are common, what angles, etc. Good luck!

Eric Hagedorn