NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Arabic Numerals and Shape
Name: Jason
Location: IL

Question:
How did the Arabic numerals get their shapes? I have recently seen several items going around the Internet that talk about the number of angles in the number is the number. The numeral 7 is a bit of a stretch, with this paradigm, but the numeral 9 is even more or a stretch. Is there any algorithm that was used to create the Arabic numerals?

Jason

Here is an article from Wikipedia that provides the latest and best discussion about numeric symbols.

Since you are an educator I'll let you read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu%E2%80%93Arabic_numeral_system

Sincere regards,
Mike Stewart