NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Measuring Elastomer Properties
Name: Emilio
Location: IL

Question:
I was wondering what laws or rules go with a rubber band. I have already Hooke's Law and the second law of thermodynamics. Are the any more? I was also wondering what causes a rubber band to break. What happens inside the rubber band that makes it not able to be stretched as far?

Emilio,

When you stretch the rubber band a little, you are extending the bonds in the rubber. When you stretch a rubber band too far, you're actually breaking the chemical bonds that hold the rubber molecules together.

As for your second question, I might start by reading a little bit of chemistry and some mechanical properties texts. The mechanical properties (elastic/plastic deformation, Young's modulus, etc.) can help explain the stretching in greater detail. The chemistry can explain how the material can act the way it does.

Here's one example:
http://books.google.com/books?id=eySQeeGniC0C&lpg=PP1&dq=rubber

You may find it a little dense reading, but if you visit a local library you may find a more suitable text.