NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sodium Polycarbonate and Salt Water

Name: Stephanie
Country: Canada

Question:
Why is it hard for salt water to adsorb into sodium polycarbonate?

Hi Stephanie,

Well, you have got me there! I had never heard of "sodium polycarbonate", and after a thorough search, I was unable to find any mention of it anywhere.

"Polycarbonate" is the generic name for a type of clear, very tough plastic resin. Most people are familiar with it as the plastic that CDs are made of. A molecule of polycarbonate resin is a very long chain polymer made of hundreds of molecules of Bisphenol-A, linked end to end by carbonate groups.

I know of no compound of Polycarbonate plastic resin that is formed with sodium, or any other metal. Perhaps you could resubmit your question with a little more detail? Regards,