NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Bologna Glass

Name: Emmanuel
Country: Romania

Question:
Could you please explain the making bologna glass? I know that it involves cooling down rapidly one side of the glass whilst the other side is cooled down slowly, if I am correct. Could you help me understand how this was done without breaking the glass?

Emmanuel

This is the only reference I could find in regard to ?Bologna Glass.? Go to http://www.google.com and try your luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_bottle

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the question. I am unfamiliar with Bologna glass. When glass is cooled rapidly, the glass does not have enough time for all the internal stresses to be relieved. This rapid cooling results in what we call "un-annealed glass" and this type of glass is quite brittle. I would be careful with un-annealed glass as it can shatter spontaneously. (I have experienced this several times myself.)

I suspect that the side that cools down slowly releases some heat which causes the rapidly cooled side to partially anneal and thus relieve some of the internal stresses in the glass. This partial annealing may make the glass a little more resistant to shattering.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell