NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Phase Change Materials 2-5C

Name: Alison

Question:
I am looking for a safe compound that phase changes solid to liquid between 2-5 Celsius. Can I blend oils like peanut oil with other fats to do this? act to the food's cooler temperature? What is it about iron that is not true of stainless? I would think that all of the metal> would handle the heat well, otherwise, why make a pan out of it?

Hi Alison

The short answer is that you cannot blend different fats or oils to get a desired, sharp freezing point. The main reason is that fats and oils do not themselves freeze at a sharp, well-defined temperature. Instead, as they get colder, they become progressively more "mushy" until they become relatively solid.

Regards, Bob Wilson