Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Paper Additive

Name: Taylor
Status: student
Grade: 6-8
Country: USA
Date: Winter 2013-14

What compound is often put in paper to keep ink from spreading and the paper from absorbing water?

Hi Taylor,

This is a subject that only a paper maker would have a detailed understanding of! Until now, I was only aware that a number of minerals and/or chemicals known as "sizing" are applied to paper during manufacture, to keep ink from soaking in to the paper, and spreading.

So I did a little research into what these minerals and chemicals are.

Have a look at this web site.....

Scroll down a bit until you get to the paragraph titled "Paper making" and read it, as well as the paragraphs that follow, titled "Surface Sizing" and "Internal Sizing".

This should answer you your questions. There are one or two sentences that get a bit technical, so if you have trouble with them, ask your teacher to read them and explain.

Regards, Bob WIlson

Click here to return to the Material Science Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 223
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: November 2011
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory