NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Paper Additive

Name: Taylor

Question:
What compound is often put in paper to keep ink from spreading and the paper from absorbing water?

Hi Taylor,

This is a subject that only a paper maker would have a detailed understanding of! Until now, I was only aware that a number of minerals and/or chemicals known as "sizing" are applied to paper during manufacture, to keep ink from soaking in to the paper, and spreading.

So I did a little research into what these minerals and chemicals are.

Have a look at this web site..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sizing#Surface_sizing

Scroll down a bit until you get to the paragraph titled "Paper making" and read it, as well as the paragraphs that follow, titled "Surface Sizing" and "Internal Sizing".

This should answer you your questions. There are one or two sentences that get a bit technical, so if you have trouble with them, ask your teacher to read them and explain.

Regards, Bob WIlson