NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Solid to 100C, Then Vaporize

Name: Jason
Country: United Kingdom

Question:
Are there any solid materials that decompose when heated between 200-300 degrees C to leave no residue? I am looking for a material that is solid at up to ~ 100 deg C at least but when heated, everything vaporizes leaving no residue.

It is difficult to make recommendations, based on the limited information you have provided. First, there is a problem is of safety. You must do this, or similar experiments, in a closed system. Have you planned for that? Second, the sublimation of a solid is a continuous process as a function of temperature. So you cannot ?turn it on and turn it off?. The sublimation depends upon the temperature. The functional relation of temperature and pressure is: Log( P) = K / T There is no

?on /off? switch. It is a continuous process.

You have not provided a motive for the experiment.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the question. In order to give a specific recommendation, I will need to know what the application of the material is to be. For instance, a good candidate to your criteria below would be a carborane such as ortho-carborane. However, carboranes are unsuitable for use in certain environments due to their chemical reactivity. Another candidate would be trimethylamonium chloride. However, the thermal decomposition of trimethylammonium chloride produces hydrogen chloride which is corrosive to many metals.

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell