NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Conductivity Differences Explanation

Name: Siddhartha 
Country: India

Question:
My question is why copper has more electrical conductivity compared to Iron? Though they are metals having different crystal structure (copper-FCC and Iron -BCC) what is the exact reason?

Hi Siddhartha,

Thanks for the question. In the classical picture of electrical conductivity, the conductivity of a material is proportional to the number of charge carriers (or free electrons) in the material. The free electrons is (roughly) the number of valence electrons in an atom of the material. Copper and iron have different numbers of valence electrons, so you can expect different conductivities.

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell