NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Missing X Chromosome
Name: John

Question:
We are adopting a 2 year old child, but have heard of him having a "missing X chromosome". Is there such a thing? and if so, How will it affect the child either now or later in life? The rumor that went with this is that later in life it will cause severe behavior problems.He seems normal now except for maybe some dwarf characteristics,but it's hard to tell because of his age. Thank You

As far as I know it is impossible to be missing the X chromosome. There are many genes on the X that are necessary for life. He could have an extra X or an extra Y. I think you misunderstood, or someone else did.

Van Hoeck