NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bacteria Moves
Name: Jennifer

Question:
I need to find out how bacteria moves for a school project. I cannot find any interent sites that tell me how the bacterias that secretes slime moves or a basic picture and description of how the inside of a bacteria looks. I have to build a model of a bacteria so would you please send me a list of sites that I can look at.

Also I have a few questions. How long can a endospore last? How long does it take to build a endospore? How long does bacteria live?

You will find a lot of your questions anwered in the Virtual Museum of Bacteria at www.bacteriamuseum.org

I can tell you that most bacteria move with a tail that is called flagellum (flagella in plural). They propell this tail like a whip and that makes them move. Some bacteria indeed move by building something like a slime trail, for instance Listeria does this, and they use the components of the cells that they live in to build their slime trails, because they are parasites.

I don't know really how long a bacterial cell can live: they normally divide and multiply, so you measure how long a culture (the complete and extended family of one bacterial cell) is alive, rather than a single cell. My guess is hours or days, et most.

Spores can live much longer, up to weeks, months, or years, because they have no metabolic activity. They are dormant and wait for better times before they come to life again.

THe inside of a bacterium is described in the museum. Go to the exibits 'what are bacteria'. I don't give you the direct way, because when you browse around you'll find lots of interesting links that will help you in your science project.

Have fun!

Trudy Wassenaar
Curator of the Virtual Museum of Bacteria