NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Black Mold Experiment
Name: Erin

Question:
I am doing an experiment on how light affects the growth of black bread mold (Rhizopus stolonifer). I have grown green mold(Penicillium), But it is on the bread that is in light, and the only black mold I can get looks like a slime mold. What is going wrong? Could it be that I don't have the right type of spores in my area? (I live in Oregon, in a dry climate)

Try different moistures, different temperatures, and use only organic breads since breads with additives will retard mold growth.

pf