NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dog Germs
Name: Tom T.

Question:
I read the responses about 'dog-germs', but I want to know if I should prevent the dog from licking the baby. The baby is learning to crawl and g-d help her, she will catch the poor dog!

Yes, dogs have germs in their mouths but so do humans. So, if you Are worried about it, this means you should NOT kiss your baby on the mouth either! I would not worry too much about it. I am a believer in exposing kids to germs to build up their immune systems. We spend so much time trying to prevent germs these days! Kids and dogs have been co-existing for millenia.

van hoeck