NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Candy and Bacteria
Name: Lance M.

Question:
How safe is a open bowl of candy from bacteria?

My guess is that there is so much sugar in candy that bacteria will not grow on it. I would not worry about this aspect of food safety.

Trudy Wassenaar

Candy is a very concentrated form of sugar. Bacteria can't grow in concentrated salt or sugar environments. In the days before refrigeration food was highly salted to preserve it, such as ham, etc. , or it was preserved in highly concentrated sugar. So your candy bowl should be safe.