NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne DNA as a Chemical
Name: Matt
Date: September 2002

Question:
What is the chemical formula for DNA? What is it's atomic weight? Is there a web site I can find the same for various amino acids and other proteins?

DNA has a basic formula. A five carbon sugar (ribose) missing an oxygen, a phosphate ion, and one of four nucleotides. Any molecular biology textbook displays the basic formulas. The atomic weight of each can be determined, but it is not practical since the various combinations to make a code for a protein is so numerous. Separate the individual components and you can determine their atomic weight. I suggest a library.

All known natural occurring proteins are available on the web in any configuration you wish to have. Unfortunately, they are commercial sites and sell their licenses to colleges, universities and private interests. I can not help you here, except to say that if you know the name of a particular protein, use www.google.com to search for it. You may find what you want using this method.

The twenty-two amino acids that make up living things are commonly found in common references. One site of many is listed below and provides what you ask.

http://info.bio.cmu.edu/Courses/BiochemMols/AAViewer/AAVFrameset.htm