NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jobs Syndrome
Name: Peter
Date: October 2002

Question:
I have a question and also a curiosity, You see my son who will be 1 year old on oct 5 2002 started developing a rash at age 3 months which further progressed in to bacterial infections and what the doctors first thought to be a severe, The most severe case of eczyma they have ever seen over a three month period conditions worsened in and out of the hospital my son would get better come home and than get worse again the only thing that seemed to help him was antibiotics. when he was in the hospital he would get better when he would come home it would get progressively worse over time what first started as a rash has progressed into infection after infection with a Elevated IGE Level and now 9 months later at almost 12 months of age it has progressed with the addition of seizures.Tried DILANTIN PHENABARBETOL AND NOW A NEW MED but does not seem to work.He was given the diagnosis of HYPER IGE SYNDROme because of the elevated IGE Level.But out of all the cases of

This syndrome none have reported Seizures he sometimes has between 15 and 20 a day my QUESTION TO YOU IS could this be from a type of bacteria or mold or could he be allergic to one of them and causing all these complications. We give him the same antibiotics at home that he gets in the hospital but only gets worse at home the only difference in care and the equation is home.If you have any suggestions or have heard of any cases familiar to this i would greatly appreciate your help if you Know of anyone who my be of help please pass this email along to them.As me and my wife are running out of time and options with my sons care .

Peter,

I am truly sorry that we do not have any medical expertise in our 60+ volunteer scientist corps. I suggest you seek help at the Mayo Clinic that often addresses rare and previously untreatable conditions.

However, I did take the time to search for information and found that this disease is also known as "Jobs Syndrome". The following site sums it up as to where the disease stands:

http://php.iupui.edu/~rallen/697/job.html

Unfortunately, there are no cures. However, there seems to be a number of support organizations. These can be found by searching the web.

Good Luck