NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rh Change??
Name: Cheryl V.
Date: December 2002

Question:
My question concerns the blood type of a child who was possibly born from incest. The child's blood type was always A+ until after the age of 21. This child had various surgeries while growing up and the transfusions used in the surgeries were always A+. Then after a Hysterectomy at the age of 21, it was discovered that this individual no longer had A+ blood type. The blood type had somehow changed along the line and became A-. How is this possible?

I would say that a mistake was made somewhere. Your blood type is determined genetically and your genetics do not change during your life time. There are cells in the body which can mutate, but there would not be enough of those to change your overall phenotype. Either the child was mistyped initially and it was assumed she was A+, or she was mistyped after. When you say her blood type "was always A+," how many times was she typed as a child/young adult? And where? Was she always given A+ blood and one time given A- blood? You can give A- blood to someone who is A+ and not get a transfusion reaction. Maybe they were short of A+ in the blood bank. In the hysterectomy incident, was the test repeated? Unless there is some breaking new research that I do not know about, what you describe is not possible. And this situation doesn't have anything to do with possible incest.