NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Blind Flies
Name: Mark P.
Date: April 2003

Question:
I have heard about a particular experiment where fruit flies were genetically altered to make them blind. After several generations, eye sight returned. Is there any truth to such a story? Can we really control genes so that we can make a fruit fly blind?

I don't know of what experiment you speak, so I don't know if this is true or not. But I do know that if a gene mutates at random, a certain number of generations later, a mutation could happen in the same place that will revert the gene to its original state. So IF there is a single gene that can cause blindness in a fruit fly, and it was mutated, it is possible that down the line a spontaneous mutation could occur that would put that gene back the way it was and restore the fly's sight.

We have been genetically studying Drosophila for so long we know an enormous amount about its genetics. We also use it to understand the biology of humans and other animals. We often understand genes by mutations of those genes. When a mutation prevents a gene from working properly it gives us an idea of what the normal gene dies. Drosophila mutant strains that exhibit age-related retinal degeneration become blind prematurely. We also know that gene N63 is important to eye development in the fruit fly. Genetic engineers are able to manipulate incredible numbers of genes in fruit flies. We can even crudely manipulate development by manipulating homeotic genes. Homeotic genes were identified early on as dominant mutations affect the identity of body structures.

Anonymous