NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Egg Membrane
Name: Micheal N. B.
Date: November 2003

Question:
A chicken egg with the shell removed with vinegar is used as semipermeable membrane to demonstrate to students the movement of water by osmosis. In addition to a concentrated sugar and distilled water setup - I would like to include an isotonic setup. If sucrose is used as the solute,

(1) are the sugar molecules large enough not to pass into the egg, and

(2) what percent solution would make for an average isotonic solution.

I'm not sure about sugar, but a 5% salt solution is about isotonic to the inside of a chicken egg. I use 20% salt as a hypertonic solution and distilled water as a hypotonic solution.