NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bacteria Processes
Name: Linda B.
Date: March 2004

Question:
Where does transpiration and respiration take place in bacteria?

I don't think transpiration applies to bacteria...as I view it but respiration occurs in the bacterial cytosol...since there is no compartmentalization in prokaryotes.

PF

Dear Linda,

PF is correct, in that transpiration is the evaporation of water into the atmosphere from the leaves and stems of plants, so it would not apply to bacteria. Please see the following recent answers to the related NEWTON Molecular Biology BBS question about E.coli Respiration for some more details on bacterial respiration:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00466.htm

Thanks,

Jeff Buzby, Ph.D.
CHOC Research Institute
NEWTON AAS
Div. of Educational Programs