NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plant and Animal DNA
Name: Fariba K.
Date: March 2004

Question:
What would be the best (and easiest) way to show students the difference between plant and animal DNA? I can separate the DNA, but what easy test (can do in class) can I use to show them any differences between the two?

Why do you want to show the DIFFERENCE between the two? Actually, DNA is DNA no matter what species it comes from. There is no physical difference between them, except for the sequence differences (ie. the order of the letters) and you can't see that in a demonstration. I think showing them that extracting DNA from an animal source (maybe their own) and also a plant source (such as fruit) and show that it looks the same would be a better demo.