NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Growing Bacteria Help
Name: Kim G.
Date: September 2004

Question:
I am trying to do an experiment for the first time with bacteria. I have just plain agar. I had already poured plates and had students in my first class take their fingerprints and swabs of their desks, etc. I have an incubator that I have set at 37 degrees Celsius. During my planning period, I kept researching bacteria and I realized I had not added a nutrient to the agar. I read a simple recipe that called for a cube of beef bouillon.

I did not have that, but the cafeteria had chicken noodle soup that day so I filtered about 50 ml and added it to a new batch of agar. I poured new plates and again I had my last period class get samples and incubate at 37 degrees. It has been 24 hours and I do not see any growth on the plates. Is it still too early? When should I see optimal growth.

I would give it a couple of days. After filtration, there may not be enough nutrients in the chicken noodle soup and there may be too much NaCl. There probably needs to be some simple sugars in the nutrient agar like glucose.

Regards, Ron Baker. Ph.D.