NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Iodine and Cells
Name: Marta
Grade:  6-8
Location: NY
Date: April 2005

Question:
I am a 6th grade science teacher at a public middle school in Brooklyn and my students and I have a burning question! We just made wet mount slides with onions using iodine. we know that the iodine reacts with starchy molecules in some organelles, so we saw the cell wall darker but in some of the cells, many of them we saw towards the corners of the cell , next to the wall a darker circular shape. I thought it was the nucleus, but honestly I don' t think it is and can' t figure out what it is!!!! Please help!

My guess is that they are starch granules used by the cell to store energy in the form of starch.

Ron Baker, Ph.D.