NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lysosome and Enzymes
Name: John
Grade:  9-12
Location: PA
Date: July 2005

Question:
Please explain why the digestive enzymes in a lysosome do not digest the lysosome membrane. I read that the membrane proteins are highly glycosylated. Is this part of the answer?

Lysozyme is an enzyme that breaks down the bacterial cell wall. As far as I know it has no function in human metabolism. It was given its name by Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin. In fact, he was working with lysozyme when he accidentally discovered penicillin. He called it lysozyme because it appeared to be an enzyme that lyses cell walls and is a natural, non-specific means of protecting you from bacteria.